INVESTING IN ABORIGINAL COMMUNITY INFRASTRUCTURE
The Andrews Labor Government is supporting Aboriginal communities in East Gippsland by boosting and investing in local infrastructure.
Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Gavin Jennings and Member for Eastern Victoria Jane Garrett have announced eight projects across the state that will share in more than $3 million as part of the Aboriginal Community Infrastructure program.
The 2 projects in East Gippsland include $638,000 for an all-weather outdoor space and exhibition Centre for the Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation and $830,464 to Moogji Aboriginal Council East Gippsland Inc to refurbish their facilities.
The other projects include:
• A new early years’ Centre in Bendigo North, with $855,075 going to the Bendigo and District Aboriginal Cooperative
• New accommodation to attract GPs in Robinvale, with $350,000 going to the Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative
• $150,000 to Wathaurung Aboriginal Corporation to upgrade and expand its Ballarat office
• $113,101 to Worn Dundidj Aboriginal Cooperative to redevelop their wholesale native plant nursery to deliver social welfare programs, training and education in culturally safe spaces
• $50,000 each to the First People of the Millewa-Mallee Aboriginal Corporation and Mullum Mullum Indigenous Gathering Place for feasibility studies on their future infrastructure needs.
This is the third year of the program, which has invested $11.8 million to Aboriginal organizations so they can create culturally safe spaces and strengthen services.
Improving Aboriginal community infrastructure is fundamental to the pursuit of self-determination and helps organizations have a strong social, cultural and economic base from which to build their future.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Aboriginal Affairs Gavin Jennings
“Every Aboriginal Victoria deserves a space they can call their own and where they can be with others in their community – these grants help provide that.”
“This program is also a great example of Aboriginal organizations determining how they want to see key community infrastructure develop and grow.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Jane Garrett
“It is fantastic that both Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation and Moogji Aboriginal Council have been successful in this funding round.”
“They are a vital part of the local community and this will ensure their contribution continues for years to come.”