MAJOR BOOST FOR LOCAL ROAD PROJECTS
Motorists in Eastern Victoria will have safer and more reliable journeys as part of a $245 million road improvement blitz on more than 100 road safety projects across Victoria.
The safety upgrades include work on key local roads such as:
- Great Alpine Road – Safety Upgrades and Shoulder Sealing between North of Tongio Gap Road (194km-200km) – Stage 1
- Mallacoota Road Safety Upgrades and Shoulder Sealing at targeted sections (5km-11km and 17km-21km) – Stage 1
- Meeniyan – Mirboo North Road (Loves Lane) – Enhanced Delineation and Targeted Safety Barrier (6km)
- Princes Highway East from Bairnsdale to NSW border
- Rosedale-Longford Road Safety Upgrades and Shoulder Sealing at targeted sections
- Seaspray Road, Longford
- South Gippsland Highway, Toora – Pedestrian Safety
- Traralgon – Maffra Road between Traralgon and Cowwaar (Stage 1)
- Wilsons Promontory Road Route Treatment – Enhanced Delineation and Targeted Safety Barrier
- Wy Yung Road (Bullumwaal Road) & Pound Swamp Hill Road Intersection Improvements, Bairnsdale
There will be improvements delivered across the state, such as new safety barriers to prevent head-on and run-off-road crashes, the installation of rumble strip line-marking to alert drivers if they veer from their lane, as well as new signage and intersection upgrades.
The package will also include safety upgrades at a number of pedestrian crossings, to improve safety for vulnerable road users.
The major investment will provide an immediate boost to the local economy, with many of the key projects ready for work to begin.
The $245 million investment includes $183 million of funding from the Australian Government and $62 million from the Victorian Government.
It builds on the joint $97.2 million investment made by the Australian and Victorian Governments earlier this year to boost road safety across the state.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Roads and Road Safety Ben Carroll
“This program is targeting some of the highest-risk areas in the state and crews are ready get started immediately at a number of these sites.”
“Whether you’re commuting to work, going for a Sunday ride, or dropping the kids off at school – we’re ensuring that our road network is safer for everyone.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Jane Garrett
“Upgrades to these important roads can save lives and will ensure that drivers and pedestrians can feel safe in Wellington, Gippsland South and Gippsland East councils.”
“This is a major investment in local infrastructure and drivers will have safer and more reliable journeys thanks to these improvements.”